Thursday 5 August 2010

The Girl's Paperie On Holiday

It's coming to that time of year when we start gathering a lot of holiday photographs to scrap, and to aid us in our (often endless!) quest to get all our memories recorded, helpful scrapbook companies obligingly produce some gorgeous travel-themed ranges. The Girl's Paperie On Holiday range is no exception - no garish pictures of fish and snorkels here, but tasteful images of maps, stamps and assorted travel regalia with complementing patterns in a range of yellows, pale blues, reds and leafy greens.
But of course, I decided to be difficult, and see if I could use the range to scrap something a bit out of season - I took this photograph on a Winter trip to Brighton, and the tones of the photo had often prevented me from scrapping it before, because they were so sombre and dark. I wanted to get across the fact that this was a resort out of season, but also the fact that Brighton is actually a very colourful and diverse place. This was what I ended up with...

The page makes use of the lovely map printed paper, which has a zig-zag edge precut. I anchored my image to the page using some strong red polka dot paper, and a strip of a slightly paler pattern - take care not to leave a photograph 'floating' when using busy background paper. I created the title using Making Memories, My Little Shoebox and American Crafts alphas, and added a 7 Gypsies sticker quote which seemed appropriate to the subject matter.

I created the simple decorative flags using triangles of the leftover paper and a length of thick string which I cut from an old gift-bag - I stapled the paper to the string, then stapled the whole thing to the page in a wave pattern.

To add a touch of detail to the edge of the page, I created a small embellishment using a paper flower, decorative leaf pin and a sticker (also 7Gypsies) which I mounted on top using sticky foam pads.

The final page is suitably nostalgic, but also reminds me of the fun and games that used to take place on this ruined pier.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

It's great! You've definately got the look you were going for and captured the fun of the pier x

Sarah xx said...

This is so awesome - love that background map!! I agree with Rebekah - you really did get the right effect - fabby!!! xxx

laterg8r said...

love the thick string on the banner :D

missusem said...

an adorable layout!! :)