Wednesday 18 March 2015

lets play gelatos…..

Hi Carol with you today…. last month at crop, Vanessa asked me to do a post on gelatos and their uses…. so, here we go…everything on this post is done with gelatos (apart from the card to stamp and ink of course!!)

So, what are gelatos? Gelatos are made by Faber Castell and are creamy/waxy sticks of colour encased in a plastic tube.  There are a whole host of colours available coming in packs of 4 with blenders, paintbrushes or stamps, there are several mixed media kits and a very large selection box of colours too - you can find them in the shop here.

So, lets begin….

I started off by taking a 5" x 7" white canvas board and my box of gelatos…...


and swirled on bubblegum, peach, pale turquoise and pistachio…


As gelatos are so soft and creamy they are very easy to blend - so in one corner I used my finger (or you can use a blending tool) and blended the colours together… this is the result


you can see how the colours have blended together really well, see the comparison with the swirled product?

In the other corner I used a paintbrush and water - I find it easier to soak my brush but not so much that I flood my canvas but wet enough for the colour to blend well…


Can you see the difference? the water side seems much brighter whilst the blended side seems a lot lighter and the texture is much greater on the blended side…

Taking a rubber stamp (I used a text stamp here) , rub the gelato (I used squid ink here) over the stamp, spritz with water and then stamp over the canvas…

Taking a stencil, place on the canvas and then rub over with gelato…. I found that I had a lot of product left on the stencil, so I repositioned it on my board and taking a stencil brush brushed over dragging the left over product into the cut out…  I also run the gelatos along the edges of my canvas and blended with a damp baby wipe...


scribble some gelato onto your mat, spritz with water and mix you then have paint… 


I used this grey to add lines to my background...


using black and white pens I added definition to my stencilling and et voila my background is finished…

Taking some white cardstock I stamped EM14 one of Darcy's new stamps and painted using the technique above… I added some liquid pearls, washi tape and a stamped sentiment and here is my finished piece.


Thank you for looking and if you have any other ways of using the gelatos please show us.


No comments: